Colonoscopy is a medical procedure during which a doctor inserts an instrument called a colonoscope into the rectum of an individual with the purpose of checking for any abnormalities in the entire colon. A colonoscope is a thin, tube-like fiber-optic instrument that has a light and a lens in it for viewing purposes and may also have a tool to remove tissue.
A colonoscopy focuses on looking for changes like swollen, irritated tissues, polyps, or cancer that can occur in the large intestine or the colon and rectum. There are many medical organizations that have the correct skills to efficiently perform the procedure of colonoscopy in Montreal.
There are two types of colonoscopy, namely:
- Screening colonoscopy – A screening colonoscopy is a preventive test that is carried out to properly examine the colon to make sure it’s in a healthy condition. If someone has any symptoms of colorectal cancer or any personal history of colon cancer or colon polyps then they might need a screening, or preventive, colonoscopy.
- Diagnostic colonoscopy – If someone has possible symptoms or a strong family history of colon cancer, then they might need a diagnostic colonoscopy. In the case of iron-deficiency anemia, persistent abdominal pain, or change in bowel habits that has been lasting for more than a few days an individual needs to get a diagnostic colonoscopy done.
When does someone need to get a colonoscopy done?
Many renowned doctors all over the globe suggest that everyone of age 45 and older than that should have a routine screening colonoscopy even if they do not have any symptoms or family history of colorectal cancer or polyps.
If someone has not met the age criteria then they should ask their primary care physician for a referral to get an appointment with a gastroenterologist for a pre-procedure appointment.
Some of the reasons why a physician may suggest getting a colonoscopy screening are listed below.
- Investigate intestinal signs and symptoms – The procedure of colonoscopy can help a doctor in exploring the possible causes of abdominal pain, rectal bleeding, chronic diarrhea, and other intestinal problems that are faced by an individual. In case of a doctor spot polyps, then they often suggest a quick and painless removal of them during the same colonoscopy, saving them from any future health issues.
- Screening for cancer – If someone has reached the age of 45 years or older then they have an average risk of colon. Even if they don’t have any risk or family history of the disease then also it is recommended by doctors to have a screening colonoscopy every 10 years. In case someone has other risk factors, their doctor may recommend a screening sooner. Colonoscopy and gastroscopy are the few options for detecting colon cancer and stomach cancer at an early stage through screenings. There are many health organizations that help individuals in detecting stomach cancer through their efficient screening of gastroscopie in Laval.
- Treating any other issue – At times, a colonoscopy may be suggested by a doctor for treatment purposes, such as placing a stent or removing an object in your colon.
Benefits of colonoscopy
The procedure of colonoscopy is not only important for diagnosing colon cancer, but it is also extremely useful for an efficient and effective treatment of cancer and other disorders which are related to the colon, rectum, and digestive system. Some of the benefits of colonoscopy that one should know are listed below.
- Helps in detecting colorectal cancer at an early stage – Every year many individuals around the world get diagnosed with the deadly disease of colon cancer. It is one of the most aggressive forms of cancer, and detecting it early is imperative, as lives can be saved by fast and early treatment. Colonoscopy is the best option for early detection because this test is capable of picking up small traces of cancer that can quickly spread and become life-threatening.
- Detects and removes polyps in time – The earliest symptom of colon cancer is the formation of polyps. They are usually benign and harmless, but some will grow, becoming cancerous and very dangerous. A colonoscopy is capable of removing polyps during the actual testing procedure.
- Helps in detecting diverticulitis – Diverticulitis is a bacterial infection that happens in the inner pockets of the intestine. The symptoms of this include abdominal pain, fever, frequent vomiting, instances of constipation, bleeding, and a feeling of bloating. Colonoscopy has the ability to detect swelling and infected tissue that are caused by diverticulitis.
Colonoscopy is a highly effective medical procedure to detect colon cancer, rectal cancer, or any other health condition in its earliest stage. Through the process of colonoscopy and gastroscopy, an individual can detect and stop the growth of cancers like colon cancer and stomach cancer. There are many renowned and skilled healthcare organizations that help individuals in detecting gastroscopie in Laval. These procedures are safe to have and painless that is recommended by many doctors as preventive measures. There are many available options for people who are looking to have a proper screening colonoscopy in Montreal.